lichess.org
Donate

Atomic960-Tournament Rules + Registration

Hey all Atomic-Fans,

with this post we (onubense and Iubar) want to announce that there will be a Atomic960-Event in May! The games will be played on chessvariants.training and consist of 10 games with every position played twice. So there will be 5 different Postions which are played by each player with white and black. The style of the tournament will be similar to the Atomic-WC. Also there will be streams from onubense (and maybe some other streamers) during the event!
Below you will find the modifed rules for the event:

Entrants:
• 250 Atomic games played on lichess
• Your rating must be established (if there is a ? behind your rating it is not) at the time of registration
• You should have an account on chessvariants.training and write your name there with the registration
• You can only register with one account, if you register with multiple accounts you will be removed from the Tournament.
• You can not enter with an account marked for using computer assistance or rating manipulation.
• You can register by writing in this thread until 10 May 2020.

Tournament:

The Tournament will be a simple Knockout-Tournament:
• Each match will have 10 games with the time control 3+2 with each position played twice (the website we play on will do this automaticly)
• The results of the matches need to be sent to the TD after the match
• If one player reaches 5.5 points, the player can stop the match, but they can continue if they like
• If there is a tie after 10 games there will be a tiebreak consisting of 2 games 3+2. If the match is still tied after those there will be another two games of 3+2. If the match is still tied there will be 1+0 games (in paris of 2) until there is a winner (problem is that only playing one game can be very unfair when position is very good for white)
• A player can request a maximum of two breaks lasting 10minutes during the match.
• Every player has the right to get 1 minute before starting the game, so they can see the position and think about strategies (so only start the game if both players agree in chat or after 1 minute)
• The tournament draw will be like in the AtomicWC, so the 1st seed will play the last and so on.
• The match times will be negotiated by the players. Each player has to offer at least 3 different times where they can play by Wednesday.
• If you finished your round and your next opponent did aswell feel free to play your game faster than the time-table.

We hope you all will enjoy this format and we will see some nice Atomic960-games!

Those rules might change a bit until the tournament starts.

Registered Players so far:
Chijss
explosions
mathwhiz16
Is it a good idea to hold it in May? There is already tipau's Atomic Banter Blitz and Hysterix's ongoing tournament as well.
Can I suggest a slower time control, some of these positions deserve it, maybe 5+3?
Hi wolfram,

The banter blitz only affects 8 players and the Hysterix and this tournament are knockout, which I think helps to not sature the players. Anyway this tournament would serve as an introduction to everyone to the 960 format (I think this is the future of atomic chess). If this has success probably other tournaments will come soon in the next months.

Anyway maybe you are right... :P
#3 Mathwhiz16

Sure most of positions are very complex. I think the best solution would be to try different time controls in future tournaments. But as the first one we just take the WC time control to not overcomplicate things.

Is the first time a tournamen like this is organised so we all will learn a lot from how its going.

I do not have an established rating but I'd be interested in playing. It might be difficult for me to play it in May - there is only so much atomic I can do without getting in trouble with my other half!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.